Thursday, December 31, 2015

Novels and Book Series, I Want to do Both!

And here we are my dear readers! The final part of the three-part miniseries. Part one is Everyone's a Poet and part two is When does a Short Story become a Book? you can find both in the blog archive. But before we get to the meat of the conversation we'll soon be in the new year and I hope that you the readers will be sticking around. I hope everyone's holiday has been great as we wrap up the season.

This is something I haven't done before. So I can't really say what I feel I need improvement on. But I can talk about what my fears are when it comes to writing a book. The most visible fear is that I'll write a bad book. Not because of lack of editing, bad spelling, or incorrect grammar but that the story isn't interesting. I've ranted about it before but a good story plus good characters are what makes a book worth picking up. I want the books that I write to be worth picking up and to be reread. I fear my stories will not make those who read them look at the world differently.

Another fear I have is being limited to a small audience of readers. (If you didn't know I'm an African American who is also female.) I don't want my race to limit me to only other black Americans and females. That is not to say I don't want these groups to read my books. I just don't want my race and gender to limit who would find my books interesting. I feel that this is something that I have to think about when it comes to marketing my books. I greatly desire to appeal to as many readers as possible.

The final fear of mine is how I manage what I write. As the title says I want to write novels and different book series. This has more to do with my organization skills and my thought process. My brain comes up with more ideas than I know what to do with and I can't focus on all of them. After all, I'm still trying to get a higher education. But I guess for now I'll just focus on the ideas I like the most. Then again I have little to no control of my imagination so I might be out of luck.

I'm excited to write out the many ideas in my head into stories. I want to create an experience with the books I write. But most of all I want to help connect people with each other and let everyone get a bit closer to understanding each other. That is my strongest desire in what I wish to accomplish with my writing.

That is it for this mini series! We'll be back on for January with more fun conversation. I hope you're ready for the new year, I know I'm curious to what 2016 will bring. Hopefully, it with bring about positive changes but who really knows with this crazy world.