Friday, October 2, 2015

Of all the jobs why become an author?

From the time I was in preschool, I've enjoyed story telling. I love creating different worlds and the people who live in them. The process of creating these places, how they function, and the social behavior of the people. So I thought instead of having all these ideas in my head why not write them out. It did take me a while getting to that point. I didn't think about becoming an author at first.

I wanted to be in the fashion industry in my preteen years. But even though clothes made me happy, I didn't enjoy some elements of the industry. Then I started thinking about writing again when I was in my last two years of high school. Writing professionally seemed unstable (it still does) but it gave me joy. A part of myself returned when I started writing again.

So naturally, that's when I wanted to become and author right? Nope! I still had trouble accepting the idea. Writing was just an outlet not what I wanted to do. Because the vocal and loud cynical part of my mind thought that the stories I wanted to tell would not be interesting enough for people to willing read. Then I remember Twilight and it's bad knock offs and the cynical part of brain said, "If stories such as these can be created why can't you write your own?"

So I gave in and accepted the dream of becoming an author. It also helped that a few people I know found it hard to imagine me with a 9 to 5 job schedule. While I still find myself crazy for choosing this job I do feel happier. Though I'm still a bit worried for my future only time will tell.