Thursday, November 12, 2015

It Sucks Not Being the Default!

Hello, my lovely audience it's time for the next mini-series! I'm sure it's not a surprise to anyone that stories about minority characters being portrayed correctly are few. Why is that? Well, I think it's because authors are taught to write in a male perspective. Here the default of perspective is a white straight male. That is not to say there is anything wrong with this perspective, it's just that there are other viewpoints to write from. Now some would think that it is easier for a woman to write female characters; that isn't the case. Female authors grew up with the same male narrative so some can be bad at writing from a female viewpoint like some male authors.

I believe this applies to non-white characters as well. There are a lot of stereotypes that blur our view of people and we assume that they are like these stereotypes. I personally don't find it a compliment when people tell me that I speak well for a black girl. But back to what I'm talking about. Because of this tradition of writing from the default, writers have some trouble disconnecting themselves from it.

This is where I come in to tell you my thoughts on the matter and ways to get out of such a rut! Well more like how I try to change the perspective myself. This mini-series will be in two parts:
  1. Half of the Population is Women.
  2. What About Us? Everyone Who Isn't White!
Our talk will be about trying to break the habit of seeing the world just one way and the traps that you can fall into. Hopefully, this will be a learning experience for all of us. Don't forget to vote on the poll you have until the 20th to do so.